First time here? Before you go on -> Read Me <- please read this. Thanx!

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Never Again!

Those of you who know me know that I am not a political animal. One of my part-time interests/hobbies is reading about the Nazis in WWII - not to glorify them (by no means!), but to continually trying to get my head around how a regime and a country could possibly get to a point in its identity where it thought it was quite acceptable to eliminate* a whole cultural minority (the Jews & Slavs and Poles), let alone the absolute horror of the death camps and worse...

Yet, as an Australian, and as one of the 'Allies', we were not immune to our own acts of terrorism against the 'enemy' back in those days - if I can put it in the contemporary language of today. Not once, but TWICE, we wiped out two whole Japanese cities with atomic weapons... Damnit! Where is the glory of victory in that...?!? I guess, for me, even 60 years after these events, I'm still trying to get my head around how a 'collalition' of national powers could go to such extreme measures, just to prove their point? To prove their power? Their rightness? Shite - I really don't know! I guess I have a sense of shame.

Like I said, I'm not trying to make some sort of political statement in contemporary terms here. I'm just refreshing our memories of the horrors that one group of people can do to another. No-one is immune.
May it never ever happen again!


( * NB. This link contains rather graphic images of the horror of the reality of the Holocaust - be warned! I put it here not to celebrate it, but in respectful memory of those who suffered needlessly. )

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

On November 02, 2005 5:02 AM, Blogger Zinnia Cyclamen said...

That's a great post for today - the 'day of the dead', a time of remembrance - hear, hear!

 
On November 02, 2005 10:58 PM, Blogger gammamoma said...

Hi Mal!
the invitation you emailed me did not connect to anything. What is it?

 

Post a Comment

<< RETURN HOME to the CURRENT POSTS


Blog of Mallard the Malster - some of my Thoughts, Ideas, Comments, Observations, Editorials, Musings, Rantings, Ravings and Current Objective Critical Relative Subjectivism of Maljam the Loopey Mallard 

Message Board Banner

face